Veterinary medicine is seeing an alarming influx of improper prescription requests, prescription fraud, as well as third-party errors made by non-clinical personnel. Our top priority is to optimize the health and well-being of your pets. The entire team at The Animal Hospital of Barrington is committed to helping your pet enjoy a happier and healthier life. Veterinary medications dispensed in our hospital come from a qualified team who can answer your questions and assure you that your animal companion has the proper drug, dosage, and most importantly a safe product. When medications are involved, our primary goal is to ensure that you not only receive the proper medication but also any of the safety information as it pertains to your individual pet’s health. One of the greatest dangers in veterinary medicine is improper prescription requests. To safeguard our patients and provide the best service for our clients, we would like to inform you of the safest policy for prescription requests.
You can request prescription refills 3 easy ways:
- Click HERE to request a refill for IN-HOSPITAL pick up.
- Order online with HOME DELIVERY through our online pharmacy HERE
- Call 603-236-7288
Our policy enables you to have prescriptions filled directly through the hospital or a written prescription will be prepared for you to pick up at the hospital and delivered to a pharmacy of your choosing. While we work diligently to accommodate requests as soon as possible. We ask you to provide 48-hour (2 days) notice for prescription requests. We require 7 days' notice for refills of special order prescription medication, food or merchandise for IN-HOSPITAL Pick up. If utilizing third-party/online sources, we encourage you to plan 7 to 10 days ahead to ensure adequate turn-around time from all parties involved.
Third-Party Prescription Requests
We respect the right of our clients to get their pet’s medications from the pharmacy of their choice. Unfortunately, there is a high number of requests by online pharmacies that are inappropriate and inaccurate. By filling your prescriptions with us directly, we can provide the safest and most efficient service for your prescription refills. If you are choosing to have a prescription filled through another pharmacy, we are happy to prepare a written prescription for you to pick up at the hospital. We will not accept faxed prescription requests directly from third party pharmacies. Please be aware that most online pharmacies require the original prescription to be mailed to them. We advise that you keep a copy of the prescription for your records and ensure that you receive the correct medication with the correct dosing instructions. This DOES NOT mean that you cannot get your pet’s medication from an outside pharmacy. Our policy will be to issue you a handwritten prescription. This prescription can then be taken or mailed to any pharmacy of your choosing. Each pharmacy will have its own policies as to how they process written prescriptions. Please make sure to check with the pharmacy you plan on using in advance so there won’t be any lapse in medications if they require you to mail in the handwritten prescription.
Need to Know
- Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship – If your pet needs medication, the New Hampshire Board of Veterinary Medicine stipulates that there must be a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship. This means that in order for us to be able to fill any prescriptions one of our veterinarians needs to have examined your animal within the past twelve (12) months. Some medications require follow-up appointments and/or lab work to help monitor the response and risks associated with the use of the medication.
- Refill Requests Timing– Most of our prescription requests will be filled within the same day but we ask that you allow 48 hours for any prescriptions to be filled to allow time for our doctors to review the request and your pet’s medical record.
- We require 7 days' notice for refills of special order prescription medication/food or merchandise.
- Online Pharmacy Prescriptions – Our relationship with the drug manufacturers ensures that the prescription drugs we dispense are safe and trusted. In fact, all of the major veterinary drug manufacturers maintain a strict practicing veterinary–only sales policy. These manufacturers have this policy in place because they know that veterinarians and their staff are best suited to discuss the issues relating to safety and efficacy, as well as the side effects and risks that may be associated with your animal companion.
To allow ample time for all patients and scheduled surgical procedures, we operate by appointment only. Emergency cases for our current patients always receive top priority, which is why very occasional appointment delay is inevitable. Please realize that we make a sincere attempt to see each client on time.
For your convenience, ADMIT appointments may be available for current patients. An 'ADMIT' means you could bring your pet at the time that works best for you and leave him/her with us for a few hours. Usually, we will ask you to ADMIT sometime in the morning so our doctors can examine the patient in between appointments or at the time purposely reserved for admitted patients. Once the doctor is done, he/she will give you a call to go over the treatment plan, diagnosis and to give you discharge instructions.
For the safety of all animals in our care, we require that all vaccinations be up to date. Pets must also be free from external parasites.
Thank you for choosing The Animal Hospital of Barrington. Our mission is to deliver the best and most comprehensive veterinary care available for your pets! An important part of our mission is making the cost of essential care as manageable for our clients as possible by offering several payment options.
You can choose from any of the following payment options (We do not accept personal checks):
- Cash, Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover Card®.
- Debit Card
- Convenient monthly payment plans from CareCredit®, see below for more information.
The Animal Hospital of Barrington is pleased to partner with CareCredit® to provide our clients with a flexible, easy way to pay for care for their beloved pets.
CareCredit has flexible financing options for unexpected situations from emergencies to dental procedures ensuring that pets get the care they need, and pet owners get the peace of mind they deserve. You can apply online or pay your bill at your convenience. If you are approved, you will be able to use your CareCredit account that same day.
To learn more visit https://www.carecredit.com/go/442JXF/.
If you have any questions regarding your payment options prior to your visit, call us at (603) 236-7288.
- Please be advised that payment is due at the time services are rendered.
- For clients with pet health insurance, we are happy to provide you with the necessary documentation to submit a claim to your insurance carrier. If your pet has coverage through Trupanion, we offer direct pay and can process most claims and payments in minutes at check-out.
Your pet’s health is important to us. Rest assured, we will work with you to figure out the best payment option for your pet’s visit during these challenging times. Please give us a call at (603) 236-7288 with any questions.