Barrington Dental Care Services
Maintaining Your Pet’s Clean Teeth & Healthy Gums
The state of your pet’s oral health can positively or negatively affect their physical health. This is why it is so important to ensure your pet always has clean teeth and healthy gums. When you choose to work with The Animal Hospital of Barrington, you are choosing to work with veterinary professionals who can help you ensure your pet’s entire body is sound and in great condition.
Studies have shown that teeth cleaning and yearly oral exams provide these benefits:
- reduces plaque and tartar formation
- decreases gum and tooth infections
- helps prevent bad breath and oral pain
- helps prevent heart, kidney, and liver disease
Almost all pets over 3 years of age have some form of dental disease. Even a small amount of plaque buildup can place additional demands on the heart, kidneys, and liver - shortening your pet's life and lowering his or her quality of life.
Steps to a Healthier Mouth & Fresher Breath
- General anesthesia, is necessary in most cases for us to do a thorough dental examination and professional cleaning. We use only the safest anesthesia protocols and human-quality products
- A complete dental exam is performed before we begin any dental procedure. A thorough dental chart is used to record the dental health of your pet and any procedures done during the dental cleaning.
- Ultrasonic and hand scaling removes plaque and tartar above and below the gum line. A thorough scaling below the gum line is critical to the success of any dental cleaning, as this is where illness-causing bacteria hide.
- Polishing smooths the surface of the teeth after scaling, making them resistant to additional plaque formation. Flushing removes dislodged tartar, plaque, and bacteria from the mouth.
- Extractions if necessary - Tartar that has built up on the teeth over an extended period of time can mechanically push gums away from the roots of the teeth. This allows the teeth to loosen in their sockets and enables infection to enter the root socket.
“Have always loved their staff, their professionalism, and their genuine love for our pup. But their covid protocol is above and beyond fantastic!”- Susie C.
“Love this place!! The prices are good and the staff and doctors are amazing, so knowledgeable and friendly.”- Sandra F.
“My dog loves to go to see everyone. In fact, my last 5 dogs have been to this practice and every one of them went in with tail wagging.”- Brenda G.